90 Days left until Operation Christmas Child Collection Week!
Yesterday we listed some ideas for the 2-4 year old shoe box gifts. Today it’s: What to Pack for A BOY 5-9 Shoe Box.
Many of the items will be the same as any age category and could be boy or girl! These are my suggestions only. Feel free to pack your shoe boxes however feels right to you! Praying before shopping will help you to find just the right items that will be perfect for your child. It is amazing how many stories of finding shoes that fit exactly or mechanical pencils for the child who just longed for them as a special treat 🙂
NEW to the brochure this year:
Include items that children will immediately embrace, such as dolls, toy trucks, stuffed animals, kazoos, harmonicas, yo-yos, jump ropes, balls, toys that light up and make noise, etc.
This will be the exciting and fun item of your box, so for BOYS to play with:
- Stuffed Animal – Yes boys LOVE stuffed animals too! They love to hug and cuddle. We’ve heard a number of stories of little boys longing for “teddy bears”. But any and all stuffed animals will be wonderful.
- Balls (tennis balls, wiffle balls, bouncy balls, paddleballs, hacky sack, football, beach ball)
- Velcro ball with mitt or other toss and catch ball game
- Soccer Ball with pump
- Cars, trucks, anything with wheels!
- Legos or blocks, Duplos
- Puzzles of all sorts
- Hand or finger puppets
- Plastic dinosaurs, animals, action figures (but NO military or weapons), Happy Meal toys
- Games that don’t require alot of directions (they might not read or know English) – checkers, dominos, ring toss, matching cards
- Flying items – foam and paper airplanes, kites, frisbees
- Toys that make noise – clackers, harmonicas, whistles, recorders, tambourine, bells
- Bean bags – but NOT stuffed with beans! Use plastic pellets (beans will spoil and are considered a food item)
- Handheld Etch-a-Sketch
School Supplies – Did you know that many children can’t attend school because they don’t have school supplies?
- Pencils and sharpener
- Colored Pencils
- Mechanical Pencils
- Notebooks, pads, index cards and all kinds of paper
- Construction paper
- Scissors with a blunt tip
- Ruler, protractor
- Coloring and activity books
- Self-Inking stamps
- Chalk, small chalkboard
- Watercolor sets
- Gloves, mittens
- Baseball hat
- Flip Flops
- T-shirt, golf shirt, any shirt!
- Rain poncho
Grooming and Hygiene Items
- Mild Soap (in a baggie please!)
- Washcloth or small towel
- Toothpaste (check the expiration date! for this year collection, the box might not be delivered well into 2014…possibly even 8/14)
- Comb or Brush
- Nail Clippers
Some other ideas:
- Craft kit
- Bowl, cup, plate, spoon, fork
- Plastic magnifier
- Tote bag
- Illustrated books
- Colorful Band-Aids
Hard Candy – check the expiration date and DOUBLE BAG. No Jolly Ranchers please…they seem hard now, but they melt like crazy!!!
It might seem fun to throw in all your wrapped hard candy at the end without a baggie and let it fill in all the little spaces in your box. Please DON’T do this. So many many boxes are ruined this way. Inside those cargo containers and out in the sun, candy that you would never think would melt, melts all over the school supplies, etc. When my daughter was in Belize, a little boy showed her his box. The red lollipop had melted onto the brand new white t-shirt in his box leaving a big red stain 🙁
DO NOT INCLUDE
- War related toys (soldiers, guns, etc). No camo clothes or items.
- Liquids. So no bubbles or shampoo or glue. It might leak and ruin the box.
- Used/worn items. We want to bless these children with new items. So anything obviously used or worn will be removed from your shoebox.
- Food or chocolate. It might melt or spoil.
- Medications and vitamins.
- Aerosal cans. Yikes, these could explode!
Tagged with: 100
Some posts contains affiliate links which help to pay this site’s maintenance fees.
Mary and Jessica are participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
My Achives! You Can Read ALL My Older Posts
My Favorite Amazon Items for OCC